1st Meeting of Fall 2010
September 2, 2010
- New officers
- Brittney Melton, President
- Dawson Metcalf, Vice-President
- Morgan Hopkins, Treasurer
- Jordan Pace, Secretary
- Rachel Benbrook and Mallory Ross, Advertising Coordinators
- Alexa Healey, Earth Week Coordinator
- New officers
- OSU Energy Managers
- Coming back to give a more in-depth presentation on what they are doing, October 14
- Mortar Boards
- Meetings scheduled in the Mortar Boards this year!
- Our logo is on the back!
- Made from recycled materials, go Mortar Board!
- THIS WEEKEND!
- Keystone Lake Event, helping with the launch of “You CAN do it!”
- Meeting in Walgreens parking lot at 1pm Saturday
- Set up camp, spread the word about the new program, assist campers
- Dinner at Pier 51 and enjoy the concert
- Wake up, pack up, head out
- Spots in tents still open!!!
- Tailgate Recycling at Football game this Saturday with SGA
- Meet in the parking lot on the north side of Gallagher-Iba at 1:00pm (by the Bullet statue and the Wrestling Hall of Fame)
- Meet back at same location after the game to collect and sort
- Call Rachel Branch, Sustainability Committee Chair for help if lost! 405.315.3830
- ECO-OSU Website
- About Us
- Fall Event Schedule
Coming up in September:
- Next Week
- Thursday, September 9th, Farmer’s Market on campus! 10am-3pm on top floor of Student Union parking garage.
- Future dates:
- September 23
- October 7
- October 21
- September 13 Green Drinks at Hideaway Pizza
- Starts at 5:30pm, no agenda or speaker, come and go, ask “Are you green?”
- Check out http://greendrinks.org/ for more info on this worldwide chain event
- September 15 Co-tabling with Crazy Hats Tie-Dye on Library Lawn, 10am-3pm
- Will donate 10% of profits to ECO-OSU
- September 26 Airport Road Recycling Drop-off Clean up! Sunday, 3pm?
- September 30 No meeting! Enjoy the Thursday night football game!
Other up-coming semester events:
- October is Energy Awareness Month
- Bluegrass Festival in Guthrie, weekend of October 2
- OSU Energy Managers to speak in meeting, October 14
- Homecoming Parade, October 23
- ECO-Film Series
- Addicted to Plastic
- Suggestions welcome!
- America Recycles Day- Airport Road Recycling Center Clean-up, Monday November 15
- Dues: $20 + ECO-OSU organic cotton t-shirt
- Members are required, at minimum, to attend three (3) events per semester.
- Secretary will keep track of attendance/absences
*2010-2011 Initiatives and Speakers
- Be thinking about and observing what has been overlooked on our
campus and what ECO-OSU wants to see change or happen.
- Statuses of projects in progress?
- New projects
- Bills through SGA
- What guest speakers would you like to have this year?
ECO-TRIVIA = PRIZES
1- What is the correct order of the “three R’s” and what is important about the order? Reduce, Reuse, Recycle à order matters because it begins with the one with the lease impact on the environment.
2- Recycling one glass bottle can power a 100-watt light bulb for how long? 4 hrs
3- Which country consumes the most energy?
a) Russia b) China c) United States d) India
4- Americans make up less than 5% of the global population, and produce what amount of the total global waste?
a) 4% b) 12% c) 33% d) 20%
5- The average U.S. home uses the most energy for
a) Lighting b) Water heating
c) Space (air) heating d) Air conditioning (cooling)
Next Meeting is September 16 at 5pm. Have a great week! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with anything!